Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In Christ Alone

In perusing the song list from the Desiring God conference, I noticed one of my favorite songs - In Christ Alone, written by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty. Debra Akins shares the story behind the song in this article at crosswalk.com. Here are the song's lyrics:
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't done the research on Stuart yet, but wondered if he was from England. We sing a lot of his songs in church over here, and they are truly great. Even before I read this article, it seemed obvious that he was striving for theological depth and truth in his songs, expressed in a way that reaches the soul of man and glorifies God. He does this like few of his contemporaries do. Surely this song, as well as How Deep the Father's Love For Us are two that are unmatched in their communication of truth in lyrical form. Coupled with the music that seems to really express the words...what a talent God has given him (and his co-writer on this one), and what a part of the Body of Christ this brother is to us! Thank You, Lord, for the opportunity to come before Your throne and worship You in spirit and in truth through music like this - what a privilege! ~J in the UK

Noah Braymen said...

Amen...this song is very faithful!~