Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sense & Sensibility

This article about the "morning-after pill" in the Des Moines Register makes me proud to call the Des Moines area home. Okay, so it's actually an opinion piece, and it makes me sick. Does anybody else find it strange that there is no name attached to this "piece" (I'll let you decide the substance of it)?

My favorite part:
What everyone should be wondering is why the government would want to restrict access to a drug that can prevent teen pregnancies. Teens are the exact group that shouldn't be having babies. The sensible goal would be to make it easier for them to purchase morning-after pills.
Now, I know I'm a bit of a hate-monger, but is it really too much to expect kids to not have sex? Or to accept consequences for their actions?

I hate the idea that just because we can do something, we should do it. The whole piece is about "the science." Can anybody tell me just when science replaced such things as morality, integrity, responsibility, and even common sense?

(HT: The Blazing Fire)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Science replace such things when Al Gore invented Science. I'm not sure the exact date, but it was right before he invented the internet. What year do you think people will start trying to pass out condoms at kindergarden round up? This whole issue, society deciding how pop culture and schools should teach kids about sex, saddens me as a parent. But mostly it just disgusts me.