Friday, July 07, 2006

PK Letdown

I just got home from the first night of Promise Keepers, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Most of the night was good - most of the teaching and the music were worshipful, Christ-centered, and God glorifying. But the last message of the night came from a Nooma video of Rob Bell titled "Dust." In it he talks about Peter walking on the water, and goes into the Jewish history of discipleship. When he finally brings it back around to Peter, he tells us that Peter fell not because of his doubt in Jesus, but because of his doubt in himself. Bell says, "Believing in God is important, but what about God believing in us?" I don't know about you, but I get uncomfortable, in a bad way, when I hear people start sentences with "Believing in God is important, but ..." or "Faith in Christ is important, but ..." I don't know much (very little, actually) about Rob Bell, but I was extremely disappointed at this Norman Vincent Peale/Crystal Cathedral-esque watering down of the gospel to self-help psychology. Give me the apostle Paul, who preached "... Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

3 comments:

Noah Braymen said...

You have got to be joking... They played that at PK??? I guess I'm not too surprised...they played one of his videos at CT a few months ago. Difference was it didn't have "overt" misrepresentations of the gospel like the one you're discussing.

I'm not too surprised. This is what the Emergent Church teaches...insufficiency of Scripture! Among other things!

In Christ
Noah

mjm said...

Amen Josh! Well said brother.

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful the Lord has gifted you with the desire to know the TRUTH of HIS WORD! Your faith and wisdom are great gifts from the Lord! Thanks for taking the time to study and to share your insights. It's sad to see what is floating around and confusing believers and non-believers alike. J in the UK