Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Off the Palin Bandwagon

Talking abortion with ABC's Charles Gibson:


I'll look at three direct quotes from the clip:
1. "I think that states should be able to decide that issue."
I'm so sick of the "states' rights" card being played as if it were a strong stand on an issue. Really? "I believe abortion is murder, but I think states should decide if infanticide is okay." What sense does that make? Isn't this the same kind of logic that ultimately led to the Civil War? Are we one day going to fight another civil war or become two separate nations based on whether we think killing babies is okay?
2. "I do respect other people's opinion on this, also."
How do you respect another person's opinion when you think their opinion condones murder? Do I have to respect Peter Singer's opinion that "killing an infant is never equivalent to killing a person"?
3. "I know that we can all agree on the need for and the desire for fewer abortions in America."
Really? If you think abortion is okay, why would there be any need or desire to have fewer abortions?

I agree with many of Mrs. Palin's positions, but I wish she held them as stronger convictions. I'm disappointed that she's already playing politics and parroting the "my opinion is..." line that's become so common in our relativistic, post-modern society. Give me someone who stands for Truth.

No comments: