Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Call Me A Geek, But...

Justin Taylor of Between Two Worlds, himself an editor, points to a post by IVP's Andy Le Peau regarding their policy of not using "serial commas." Here's the difference:

With the serial comma:
- "I had bananas, blueberries, and strawberries on my corn flakes this morning."
Without the serial comma:
- "I had bananas, blueberries and strawberries on my corn flakes this morning."

So what's the big deal, you ask? Well, fellow blogger Tim Ellsworth, who also writes for BP Sports, nailed it with this comment on Le Peau's post:
I'd like to dedicate this response to my parents, Mother Theresa and the Pope.
Well done, Tim. Well done.

UPDATE: As Tim points out, that comment was the one after his, posted by "Another Andy." Either way, I'm still amused.

3 comments:

Tim Ellsworth said...

Actually, my comment was the one about AP style. The one you referenced was the comment that followed mine.

Noah Braymen said...

Man josh, show some grace;) Serial commas are okay according to Kate L. Turabian's "A Manual for Writers 6th edition". Preferences are preferences. Personally I like the serial comma. Because in my simple mind if it's not there I might actually equate a three point thought to be a two pointer...which isn't good.

Take the acrostic TULIP. If a sentence read, "total depravity, unconditional election, limited atonment, irresistable grace and perseverence of the saints," my mind (if I wasn't so familiar with this) would probably say, "Wow, what a profound four points!"

I like the serial commas;)

Later brother!

Josh said...

My bad, Tim. I guess your name just stuck out, and in my laziness I didn't try very hard to distinguish the comments from each other.