Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's All Yours, O Lord

I've been reading through 1 Chronicles lately, and finished the book tonight. Chapter 29, the final chapter, tells about king David and other offering gold, silver, bronze, iron, and precious stones for Solomon to build the temple. After the offerings are made, a prayer of David's is recorded, beginning this way:
Therefore David blessed the LORD in the presence of all the assembly. And David said: "Blessed are you, O LORD, the God of Israel our father, forever and ever. Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name.
- 1 Chronicles 29:10-13 (ESV)
Wow. What an amazing God! Those words reminded me of a song on Steven Curtis Chapman's newest release, "This Moment." The song is entitled, simply, "Yours":



I walk the streets of London
And notice in the faces passing by
Something that makes me stop and listen
My heart grows heavy with the cry

Where is the hope for London?
You whisper and my heart begins to soar
As I'm reminded
That every street in London is Yours
Oh, yes it is

I walk the dirt roads of Uganda
I see the scars that war has left behind
Hope like the sun is fading
And they're waiting for a cure no one can find

And I hear children's voices singing
Of a God who heals and rescues and restores
And I'm reminded
That every child in Africa is Yours

And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor
And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
You're the Maker and Keeper, Father and Ruler of everything
It's all Yours

And I walk the sidewalks of Nashville
Like Singapore, Manila and Shanghai
I rush by the beggar's hand and the wealthy man
And everywhere I look I realize

That just like the streets of London
For every man and woman, boy and girl
All of creation
This is our Father's world

And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor
And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
You're the Maker and Keeper, Father and Ruler of everything

It's all Yours, God
It's all Yours, God
It's all Yours, God
It's all Yours, God

The glory is Yours, God
All the honor is Yours, God
The power is Yours, God
The glory is Yours, God

You're the King of Kings
And Lord of Lords

And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor
And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
All the greatness and power, the glory and splendor and majesty
Everything is Yours
Yeah, it's all Yours
We are Yours
The glory and honor is Yours, everything is Yours

It's all Yours, God
My life is Yours, my heart is Yours
My hands and my feet
Every song that I sing
It's all Yours, all is Yours
All belongs to You
Our gifts are Yours, God
All our dreams are Yours, God
All our plans are Yours, God
This whole earth is Yours, God
Everything is Yours

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love this song, and those images just impress it even more in the mind, don't they? Thanks for sharing this!

His concert the other night was phenomenal. He sang the one from your wedding, along w/ the one from ours. We both needed to hear them, the Lord really used the concert to work in our hearts.

SCC waved at the boys (we were in about the 5th or 6th row), and they thought it was awesome! :-) I'm pretty sure that was during Fingerprints of God.

Whenever I hear When Love Takes You In, I think of my neice and nephews, of course. And the millions of kids who need to be adopted and I just bawl and want to adopt 100 of them. It has always been a very powerful song to me. However...the other night he talked about it in a fresh way from what I've heard him say in the past. He really challenged us to focus on what those words meant for us, as being adopted children of the King of Kings. I have to say, I've thought about that before, but never has the Holy Spirit impressed it upon me more than that night while he sang. The words, "When Love takes you in, EVERYTHING CHANGES" just keep going through my mind. I am in awe of what the Lord has done for me.

And then to put that up alongside this song, and this perspective - it is the SAME God who owns the entire universe, who spoke the world into being, who created man from dust.... The very same God is the one who loves us enough to change everything for us, to sacrifice His Son...well, you know it all. But I am just in awe.

Is there a better word for grace than amazing? Matchless? You really can't find a word to express what His grace means, can you?

Love you, bro. Thanks for the posts. I'm glad God is revealing Himself to you in these ways. Hug your fam for us!