Benefits of AccountabilityThe guys also write about a scriptural basis for accountability, drawing from commentaries of John MacArthur, Thomas Manton, and John Calvin.
Potential Pitfalls of Accountability
- Heartless participation
- Impressing God
- Impressing ourselves
- Impressing each other
- Impressing others
- Comparing ourselves to each other
- Appeasing ourselves
- Lack of transparency
- Fearing man
- Avoiding face-to-face conversations
Altrogge shares a list of suggestions for "awkward questions" to ask your friends (and have your friends ask you):
- Have you been consistently pursuing the Lord through scripture reading and prayer?
- Have you diligently pursued your wife/husband this week?
- Have you seen any persistent patterns of sin in your life recently?
- Last week you confessed struggling with [insert sin]. Have you taken steps to fight it this week?
- When you gave into [insert sin], what were you believing about God in that moment? What were you believing about yourself?
- What is the truth that you need to believe in this situation?
- When you had the conflict with [insert person], what were you craving at that moment?